The message "BMXAA2598E - A purchase order is required for approval." is related to the check-box "Company Default for PO Required for Outside Labor?" (MAXVAR LR_PO_OUTLAB_RQRD)
which is hidden by default in Organizations application > Purchase Options > PO Labor Options.
The Contract enhancements in Maximo 6 replaced the old Outside Labor Reporting functionality that used Purchase Orders.
Usually when we have such functionality change we leave the old fields in the Maximo database just to keep the compatibility with old versions during upgrade process.
But in fact since Maximo 6 there is no reference to a Labor Contract on POs:
- The Contract reference is made on the Plan and Actuals in Work Order and during Labor Reporting.
- This will pull the appropriate cost for the Craft/Skill/Labor.
- These rates will be used when the Invoice is created (new action in Labor Reporting application).
So in order to avoid that error message now in Maximo 7.5 and 7.6, the workaround is the procedure below.
1. Stop the Maximo application server.
2. Back up the Maximo database.
3. Run the following update using a SQL tool:
UPDATE MAXVARS SET VARVALUE=0 WHERE VARNAME='LR_PO_OUTLAB_RQRD';
4. Restart the Maximo application server.